Friday 3 May 2013

Interviews on Piercings

ETHAN
Me: What kind of piercings do you have?
Ethan: For my ears, I have a 12mm stretched lobe on my left ear, and a 10mm one on my right. I pierced my right earlobe thrice. I used to have a labret, and 2 helix on my left ear. I am planning to get my tongue pierced, or a septum piercing. Also, I want to expand both my ears up to 16mm…maybe 20 if possible.
Me: Why do you want to get piercings?
Ethan: Piercings give me something to do
Me: Can you elaborate?
Ethan: Well…I often get bored so I tend to go to any piercing shop and just buy some awesome looking jewelry and just put it on.
Me: Have you regretted getting any of your piercings?
Ethan: I regretted getting the two helix. Cuz they hurt like crazy. Worse than expanding my earlobes.
Me: That’s really painful haha…..ok, what do you think of people with piercings?
Ethan: Hmm…ok depends. Those kind of people who go pierce their face just to act big are the ones who I dislike. Other than that, people with piercings are awesome.
Me: But some people find it disgusting. What are your views?
Ethan: I have to agree…cuz if you don’t take care of them properly, they may get disgusting and infected.
Me: What about those who cannot accept piercings?
Ethan: Those are my favourite kind of people!!
Me: What
Ethan> Cuz they will be like ewwwww that’s disgusting and I will just push out my lip stud in front of them!!
Me: HAHAHAHA, smart….Have you gotten into any trouble or disputes because of your piercings?
Ethan: I get into trouble with piercings almost every day haha… I wear bubble tea straws when I’m in school, and apparently it’s always too obvious and I always get caught and detained. But I couldn’t care less cuz it’s my last year in my secondary school!
Me: HAHAHA ok, thanks for your time!
Ethan: You’re welcome
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHESCA
Me: What kind of piercings do you have?
Chesca: I have a naval piercing, two piercings on my right ear and one on my left. I am planning to get hip piercings and a micro dermal on my right cheek for the future.
Me: Why did you get those piercings?
Chesca: I honestly like the way they look on me and I like proving my point to my relatives that don’t like piercings/body modifications that anyone can still look good in them.
Me: Have you regretted getting any of your piercings?
Chesca: No, I didn’t regret getting the ones I have now, but sometimes, I think that it’s kinda irritating when I’m training.
Me: What do you think of people with piercings?
Chesca: I think people are attractive when they have piercings…it tends to attract attention..in a good way for me, at least!
Me: What do you think of people who can’t accept this?
Chesca: I think they should mind their own business cause even if they don’t like something they still can’t do anything about it.
Me: Well said. Ok…As a girl, have you gotten into any trouble or dispute over your piercings?
Chesca: Other than the healing part where I felt uncomfortable to move too much, I haven’t gotten into any trouble xD
Me: Ok, thanks for your time!!
--------------------------------------------------------
SHANNA
Me: Do you have any piercings?
Shanna: Nope, but I am planning on getting one on each ear.
Me: What do you think of people with unique piercings?
Shanna: Painful. Weird. Bad impression. It you put it at the both of the holes of your nose, you look like a bull. It’s not unique, it’s crazy. And do you see those people with piercings on their brows too, and tongue? How are they supposed to eat?!
Me: Hahaha…why do you think people want to get piercings?
Shanna: For unique piercings, because they think it is cool. For normal piercings, for beauty’s sake, and it’s also very nice. And maybe because of peer influence for both.
Me: What do you think of piercings in general?
Shanna: Unique: Disapprove. Normal: Approve.
Me: Ok, thanks! Anything to add on?
Shanna: I’ve always wanted to get a piercing but I’m scared. When I was younger my mum wanted to bring me go pierce my ear but then my ahma don’t allow and I scared pain leh…people always say like ant bite but I still scared.
Me: HAHAHA yeah actually…me too…sometimes…anyway, thanks for your time!!
Shanna: Haha no prob :)
-------------------------------------------------
NICOLE
Me: Do you have any piercings?
Nicole: No, but maybe next time I want one ear….
Me: What do you think of people with piercings?
Nicole: If I see someone with unique piercings and its nice, I’ll be like “oh that’s a nice and cool piercing’ but if is stupid and weird, I’ll just be like, “why they choose that piercing?”
Me: Alright, what do you think of piercings in general?
Nicole: /msgweevoice/ I have nothing against them I think it is a form of art.
Me: Should I put that in
Nicole: Yes you should!
Me: HAHAHAHAHA ok!! Anything to add on?
Nicole: Nope!
Me: Ok, thanks for your time!!
------------------------------------------
ALEX
Me: Do you have piercings?
Alex: -_-
Me: Just answer the question
Alex: Does it look like I have piercings….my bro and sis do though.
Me: Then, do you plan on getting any in future?
Alex: Nope, I’m not a piercings kind of guy.
Me: What do you think of people with piercings?
Alex: They’re still people, aren’t they? I just think of them as regular people, just with accessories.
Me: Fair enough. Why do you think people want to get piercings?
Alex: I don’t know, they may feel as if something’s missing from them, like how I feel about my rings. Or they may be following a trend of some sort?
Me: Ok, what is your opinion on piercings in general?
Alex: I’m at neutral point. I don’t support it nor hate it, if people wanna get them, go ahead.
Me: Ok then…anything to add on?
Alex: Nothing that is related to this.
Me: Haha…ok thanks!!
----------------------------------------
RAYLIF
Me: Do you have any piercings?
Raylif: Haha of course. I have one on my right lower lip, a septum piercing, an eyebrow piercing, and one on each earlobe.
Me: Haha....ok, why did you get them?
Raylif: Well, piercings and tattoos are considered attractive to me. If an average looking girl or guy has unique piercings or tattoos, they wouldn't be average anymore. Since I'm not that hot, I guess I have piercings to be raised higher than all those average looking people.
Me: Pffft. Right. Not that hot. Riiiiiight. Anyways, do you regret any of your piercings?
Raylif: None of them at the moment, but I might regret some when I get to NS but no. Not yet.
Me: Good luck, then. What do you think of people with piercings?
Raylif: I think piercings are wonderful. Aren't they after all another form of jewellary? Like, if earlobe piercings are acceptable, why are lip piercing, helixs, etc. so looked down on?
Me: That's actually really meaningful, and thought provoking....
Raylif: Of course it is. I said it!
Me: Haha very funny. Ok, have you gotten into any trouble with your piercings?
Raylif: Yes, I have. Usually in school. I use transparent earsticks when I'm in school. But usually, once you get caught the first time, the teachers tend to look at you really closely cause they know about your piercings. I don't get detention though, I just have to surrender my earsticks. Which is quite retarded since I always have spare ones with me.
Me: Hahaha...ok, thanks for your time! Anything to add on?
Raylif: Nope, and you're welcome :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Our Point of View: Body modifications come in many different forms, and can be done in many different places. There are the ordinary ear piercings, and then more daring ones, such as at the lips and nose, and then unique ones, such as corset and dermal piercings. There are tattoos that can be done literally anywhere. There are implants that create shapes on a person’s skin. There is plastic surgery. The possibilities are endless. Despite how modern and flexible society appears to have become, many people are still unable to accept the more non mainstream modifications.

11 comments:

  1. Why are people unable to accept the more non-mainstream alterations such as tattoos and piercings?

    -Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some claim that it is due to religious purposes or they just feel uncomfortable. Furthermore, many associate body modifications with corruption and bad influence. How does modifying make oneself bad?

    -Sze Yen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that modifying oneself don't make one a bad influence. It is one's choice whether they would want to be influenced by bad behaviours and not by their attire, appearance or accesories. However, why does people feel that one that has done tattoos or piercings is bad according to religious beliefs?

    -Xiang Ting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some religions do not permit us to modify certain parts of our body. For example, for Muslims, they are not allowed to do so as we should not change our God’s creation of us. Honestly, it is one's choice to believe in it. I don't understand, why does people dislike piercings?

    -Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like what I said earlier, some people have trypophobia (fear of holes). Hence, when they see people that are filled with piercings all over, they feel really uncomfortable. Also, it can be really painful to do piercings. Since it's painful, why do some youths still do piercings?

    -Sze Yen

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is possible that youths are still in their teenage rebellion phase and they feel cool doing piercings. How does piercings make one feel cool?

    -Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  7. They feel that others would be scared of them as piercings make one looks strong and scary somtimes. Why do they want people to be afraid of them?

    -Xiang Ting

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many cases of people getting bullied in school, getting bruises, cuts and injuries all over. They feel that by putting piercings can make them avoid being bullied. Once, I indirectly asked my parents if I could get lip piercings but my father just looked angry and sternly told me that he doesn't permit me to have piercings. Why doesn't parents support their children to have piercings?

    -Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many parents feel that by having piercings would not be useful for their children's future as they might not get a job easily and if they would want to permanently remove the piercings, it might not be possible. Why won't people with piercings hold a job easily?

    -Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  10. Usually, people always judge someone by their cover, in other words, it's the first impression that counts. People tend to feel that those with piercings are rebellious and bad influence. Hence, they would not want to employ these people. Why do people have this stereotype?

    -Sze Yen

    ReplyDelete
  11. They too easily convinced by the stereotypical norm that people who modify their bodies are corrupted, ungrateful, bad influences. Whatever their friends think of, they follow suit, "monkey see monkey do".

    -Xiang Ting

    ReplyDelete